Summer is coming to an end, and children are heading back to school. Life gets a bit chaotic as the seasons begin their switch (traffic patterns sure change too!), but we’ve got some tips to keep you and your family safe throughout the school year!
Let’s focus on getting to and from school first. Whether children walk, ride their bikes, or take the bus to school, it is extremely important that they know the safest protocols!
- Walk on the sidewalk, if one is available; when on a street with no sidewalk, walk facing the traffic
- Before you cross the street, stop and look left, right and left again to see if cars are coming
- Make eye contact with drivers before crossing and always cross streets at crosswalks or intersections
- Stay alert and avoid distracted walking
- Teach ‘em the rules of the road now. (Bonus for when they start driving, it’ll be more of a refresher course at that point!)
- Ride on the right side of the road, with traffic, and in a single file
- Come to a complete stop before crossing the street; walk bikes across the street
- Stay alert and avoid distracted riding (no cell phones!)
- Make sure your child always wears a properly fitted helmet and bright clothing
- Go to the bus stop with your child to teach them the proper way to get on and off the bus
- Teach your children to stand 6 feet (or three giant steps) away from the curb
- If your child must cross the street in front of the bus, teach him or her to walk on the side of the road until they are 10 feet ahead of the bus; your child and the bus driver should always be able to see each other
- Obey school zone speed limits and follow your school’s drop-off procedure
- Make eye contact with children who are crossing the street
- Never pass a bus loading or unloading children
- The area 10 feet around a school bus is the most dangerous for children; stop far enough back to allow them to safely enter and exit the bus
- Make sure they are insured properly! (DUH)
- Teens crash because they are inexperience so practice with your new driver as often as possible
- Set a good example; drive the way you want your teen to drive
- Sign the New Driver Deal! This agreement helps define expectations for parents and teens alike
Interested in learning more about Vero Insurance? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 773-945-9000.
Vero Insurance is a niche broker with a focus on providing insurance placement and risk management services to high-income families. Here at Vero, we love to provide you with exciting and fun articles to learn more about insurance and how it impacts your life. Visit our other blogs to find more information.
While Vero does offer a wide variety of personal insurance coverages, our main coverages include personal umbrella insurance, auto insurance, and homeowner’s insurance. To find the best coverages for you and your family, use the contact form below so you can be at ease knowing you’re covered. If you’re looking for commercial insurance, please visit Worthy Insurance.